The calendar is blocked and the sitter secured, now for the hardest part of date night, figuring out what to do!
Kansas City has no shortage of amazing places, so let this list guide you to enjoying some special quality time with your significant other. Whether you are looking for a wine tasting or a day full of adventure, we have you covered. 100+ ideas await.
Kansas City date night ideas, locations and suggestions:
Adventure and fun seekers
- Axe throwing at Blade and Timber is a popular choice for thrill seekers or those looking for some friendly competition. Try their “lumbersnacks”, sip on craft brews and hit those bullseyes!
- Breakout KC is a top rated escape room with two accessible locations in the metro. Work together to solve puzzles, mysteries, find hidden doors and uncover secrets.
- Go Ape KC will test your bravery and partnership skills!
- Zip KC should be considered for a high-flying adventure.
- Ludo’s Shuffleboard Bar, where the shuffleboards are huge, the drinks are affordable and the atmosphere is light-hearted. Highly for a group outing.
- The West Bottoms also has haunted houses, a great choice for an outing in October.
- Visit Up-Down for old school fun in Kansas City, Draftcade in Zona Rosa, or Arcade Alley in Lee’s Summit.
- Rage KC will help parents release tension and stress in the form of sledgehammers!
- Choose RoKc climbing gym for high flying fun.
- Trap shooting at Powder Creek Shooting Park or Lake Lotawana Sportsmen’s Club provides an exciting new adventure.
- Pawn and Pint is ideal for low-key, friendly competition via board games. ReRoll Tavern is another option with the same concept.
- Want good burgers and cheap beer? Westport Flea Market is where you will want to be, and the trivia nights are not to be missed.
- Check out Char Bar for outdoor games and barbecue.
- Ice skating at Crown Center Ice Terrace is a fun choice. It opens early November.
- Virtual reality bars are popping up everywhere and will be a hit with gamers. Reserve spots at Double Tap or Flipswitch VR.
- Paintballing at Jaeger’s Paintball and Laser tag will have you battling it out and laughing along the way.
- Join open play at Get Nerfed in Liberty and battle with — or against — your date.
- The Dinner Detective and Murder Mystery Show provides the laughs, frights and food!
- Channel your inner Katniss Everdeen at Archery Excellence.
- Bowling at Pinstripes, followed by margaritas at Coco Bolos in Prairie Fire never hurt anyone.
- Sinker’s Lounge is an indoor miniature golf course, providing snacks and cocktails. Your “gram” will love the picture-worthy themed rooms.
- Top Golf in Overland Park, or T Shotz in the Northland, both provide golf lovers a fun way to compete without a full day on the course. Having a waiter bring food and beverages is an added bonus.
- Chicken N Pickle has solid food and entertainment, now at two location in the metro. Pickleball is all the rage, for good reason, around the country. SERV is also an option, and offers more diverse food options.
- Bike along the shaded Rock Island Trail to converse and exercise. Always stop at Crane Brewing for a cold beer along the trail at Raytown.
- Weston, Missouri’s Snow Creek provides winter skiing fun.
- 54th Street Grill in Zona Rosa allows patrons to watch the game on the patio while enjoying golf simulators and pickle ball.
- The College Basketball Experience is informative and perfect for a pickup game.
Kansas Citians have a lot of options when it comes to professional sports teams, and all provide an entertaining venue for time away. Check out the KC Current, Sporting KC, KC Monarchs, KC Mavericks, Chiefs and Royals websites for tickets.
Sips and snacks
- Tapas and sangria, say no more. The perfect date night fare can be secured by reserving a table at La Bodega.
- Head to Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen for upscale food and drinks in a swanky setting.
- Come for the charming atmosphere, stay for the photo ops and drink selections at KC Wine Co.
- Pirtle Wine in Weston is quaint and adorable. Sit on the patio and have a tasting!
- Amigoni Urban Winery is hip and cool with a great wine selection.
- Belvoir Winery is a romantic spot set in a beautiful setting.
- Hit Monarch Bar if you want hip drinks and perhaps see a Kansas City celebrity or two.
- Pretzels and beer at KC Bier Co will hit the spot in this come as you are, laid back atmosphere.
- Tom Town’s Distilling Co. is a speak easy, a distillery and a great place to get some small plates before a tasting.
- For the plant lady or gentleman in your life, reserve a spot at Colonial Gardens for one of its Wine Wednesdays.
- Café Provence is a must for the ultimate romantic meal.
- Piropos is a mainstay around the area always providing the ideal setting for a quiet and delicious dinner out. While in the Northland, also stop by Wines by Jennifer in Parkville.
- Dessert is a must, and so is a stop at Christoper Elbow Chocolates.
- A Boulevard Brewery tour screams KC date night. Plus the beer hall and adults-only rec deck are perfectly fun and casual.
- J. Rieger & Co. Distillery has a slide to exit the bar! The building is grand, the tour informative and the tastings plentiful, all of which makes this a must-do for KC lovers.
- Reserve an hourlong, free tour of Roasterie Coffee and take in all the heavenly aromas while you are there.
- A Taste of Kansas City Food Tour will have foodies delighting at all the stops. There is an option for a “Prohibition” tour or a “Lip Smacking” one. Make sure to wear stretchy pants.
- Urban Hikes takes walkers on a 4-mile course to find hidden gems around the urban core.
- Get a group together for a two-hour Pedal Hopper jaunt around the center of our city.
- A Barley Bus Tour can customize a loop of restaurants, sightseeing, wine or breweries.
- The Culinary Center of Kansas City will have you working together to prepare a one-of-a-kind feast. Taste Buds Kitchen is also worth noting, with a multitude of dates and options.
- Sailing lessons at Lake Jacomo will put your team work to the test. Pedal boats, canoes and kayaks are also available to rent if sailing isn’t in the cards.
- Joining a workshop at Colonial Gardens or Family Tree Nursery could be the perfect option for those with a green thumb, or those looking to acquire one.
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Arts is a Kansas City landmark and always a wonderful way to appreciate beauty together, inside the museum or outside at the sculpture garden.
- Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art is attractive to those with a more modern eye. While there, grab lunch or brunch at Café Sebastienne.
- The National World War I Memorial and Museum is informative and emotional. Everyone should take the time to appreciate this important landmark.
- Art classes at Belger Arts Center have a specific call out for date nights.
- Learn to ride horses together at Sunset Stables.
- Take wake boarding lessons at KC Watersports.
- Try your hand at golf with lessons at Fred Arbanas Golf Course.
- Reserve a court at Overland Park Racquet Club, or hire a pro for first-timers.
- A trip to Embers Candle Bar will help you equip your home with sweet-smelling aromas.
- Art Experience KC offers paint instruction and special events in conjunction with KC Wine Works.
- Stroll around Loose Park’s rose garden, but not before picking up a charcuterie board from Better Cheddar on the Plaza.
- Hike Parkville Nature Sanctuary, stopping to enjoy the waterfall.
- Powell Gardens is beautiful every day, or during one of the highly attended seasonal events.
- Overland Park Arboretum offers a lovely stroll through the shade, and on occasion hosts wine tastings.
- Rent a boat at Longview Lake. Choose between a pontoon, john or utility boat for a sunset cruise through mid October.
- The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden is a free and quiet place to enjoy the blooms of the season.
- Go old school and attend a drive-in movie at Boulevard Drive-In or B&B Theatres Twin Drive-In.
- Fishing can be great for novices or experts.
- Let your dog tag along for a playdate at Bar K while you enjoy beers and easy dinner.
- Green Lady Lounge features Kansas City jazz in an intimate setting.
- Check out the Power and Light District schedule for live music nights, and the very popular Miller Lite Hot Country Nights during the summer months.
- Get dressed up for a show at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.
- Catch a musical or concert at Starlight Theatre. There’s not a bad seat in the house.
- Guitars and Cadillacs offers line dancing, live music and a dueling piano bar.
- Concerts at T-Mobile Center or the Midland Theatre are always fun.
- Knuckleheads is perfect for a smaller show. J. Rieger & Co. owns Electric Park Garden Bar right by the venue, and it is worth mentioning for a pre-concert cocktail.
- New Theatre Restaurant has several shows throughout the year.
Strolling and shopping
- Farmers markets are always a fun choice. Hint to your partner about picking up a beautiful bouquet while there.
- Vintage shopping in the West Bottoms during the first weekend of every month lets you enjoy the city and find treasures.
- The Fourth Fridays Art Walk in downtown Lee’s Summit is a lovely way to spend an evening.
- The Country Club Plaza is quintessential Kansas City shopping, strolling and people watching.
- First Fridays in the Crossroads allows patrons to peruse, eat, drink and feel the pulse of our hometown.
- Nothing is more relaxing than a trip to the Elms Hotel & Spa. Relax in the grotto, enjoy a spa experience or sit by the pool.
- Enjoy a movie that’s not animated at a local AMC or B&B Theatre.
What have we missed, KC experts? Where is your Kansas City date night idea?
Although it is not always easy to carve out time for your relationship, remember distraction-free time away is vitally important for parents. As the saying goes, “You must fill your cup first, because you can’t pour from an empty one.”