If you have been to a Target lately, then you are well aware that school is around the corner. I have even seen pumpkins and fall decor popping up! Personally, I am not ready for summer to be over, so I plan on maximizing the rest of these long KC summer days and checking some final items off of our bucket list.
Here are some ideas to check off your summer bucket list and end the season with a bang:
Treats & Eats
- Ice Cream BAE — A must try if you like a nice thick homemade ice cream with mix-ins and flair, i.e. amazing toppings! They recently added a new location at Park Place in Leawood in addition to the original Plaza shop, so no matter what part of Kansas City you live in there is a location easily accessible to you. My personal favorite is Not Your Average S’more, where they actually torch a marshmallow that they add to a stick in your ice cream. Heaven!
- Creative Culture KC — Amazing fancy milkshakes and DIY craft workshops/plant bar. Combining a cold summer treat with a fun activity? Sign me up! The best part is that you don’t have to make a reservation to join in on the fun.
- Fairway Creamery — If you have lived in Kansas City for any length of time, then it is hard to not know of the amazing chocolatier Christopher Elbow. His unique take on chocolate combinations is the stuff of dreams and you can’t go wrong with the classics either. Fairway Creamery is his concept and their donuts and ice cream creations are just as delicious. Try my personal favorite, the Lemon Meringue with lemon curd, strawberry sauce, shortbread, and meringue!
- Patio Dining — I don’t know about you, but summer nights are the best when you can enjoy a meal outside. COVID has us all itching for a little normalcy while keeping safe, and restaurant patios are a great way to enjoy. There are plenty of family friendly places to try out in KC.
- Berry Picking — There is still time to fit in some berry picking if you didn’t make it early in the summer for strawberries. We visited the Berry Patch to pick blueberries and have some of their delicious baked goods. Their season ends August 7th officially — however, check their Facebook page for updates.
- Splash Pads — Have you visited your local splash pad a million times and still need a fun place to hang but keep cool? KC has quite a few splash pads to offer for a new spot to add to your bucket list. Try out Lake Olathe in Olathe or Gezer Park in Leawood or Wilder Bluff Park in Shawnee for a nature walk, man-made water structures, and playgrounds.
- Festival of Butterflies at Powell Gardens — Visit Powell Gardens for their immersive experience of the Festival of Butterflies from July 22nd to August 8th. Along with the amazing floral and butterfly experience, visitors can enjoy local eats from Bette Raes, McClain Market, Sweet Daddy Kettle Corn, Kona Ice, Swoon, and Silk. Every weekend during the festival, Chris Cakes will be serving up an all you can eat pancake breakfast. Be sure to visit the website for tickets and details.
- Parks — One of the simple activities we have included in our summer bucket list this year is to try new parks that are not in our area. Kansas City is such a great spot for parks because every city has so many to choose from and they are usually no more than 30 mins away from home. Add some variety to these final few weeks of freedom and visit a new park or two!
Fun Ideas for Home
- Family Movie Night — Disney+ released a few new family friendly movies this summer, and that calls for a fun summer movie night outside. Use an inflatable pool (sans water, of course), throw in comfy pillows/blankets, and project Disney’s “Luca” or “Cruella” on the side of your house or projection screen. Don’t forget the popcorn, snacks, and bug spray!
- End of Summer BBQ — Either grill yourself or order some Jack Stack for your crew! Invite a few friends and rent a bounce house from The Party Trend. They have the cutest modern bounce houses and also create luxury picnic set ups for parties.
- End of Summer Water Balloon Fight — Invite the neighbor kids over for a water balloon fight to cool down. It’s even easier now with the Bunch O Balloon sets that fill multiple balloons at one time. Having fun this summer doesn’t need to be an added stress of coming up with new ideas, this classic is always a winner.
How is your family spending the final weeks of summer in KC?