This post is sponsored by HCA Midwest Health.
Kansas City has so many hiking trails and nature centers where you can get outside and explore nature with your family. Unplugging and spending time in nature together helps families connect and create special memories. Each season offers new opportunities for kids to learn from the world around them.
Here are 8 tips for planning a safe and fun hike with your family in Kansas City.
- Bring navigation tools such as a map, compass, or GPS.
- Water is perhaps the most important item on your list. Hydrate both before and during your hike.
- Bring along easy snacks such as granola bars, trail mix, cereal, or fruit.
- Dress in layers and opt for light colored clothing. Make sure to wear a hat and tall socks for extra protection from bugs and ticks.
- Pack a safety kit including a flashlight and a whistle.
- Build a personalized first aid kit with bandages, gauze, tape, and any medications your family may need like EpiPens and inhalers.
- A multipurpose tool or knife is helpful because you never know when you might need it.
- Sunscreen will protect your skin from sun damage during all four seasons. Remember to re-apply every two hours.